The value in the mentoring process is that successful tourism professionals will have an opportunity to experience the many challenges and difficulties that rural residents face in operating a business (i.e. high fuel costs and delivery charges, expensive transportation, difficulty securing funding, etc). Mentors may include representatives from a wide range of visitor services/hospitality industry (i.e. Bed & Breakfasts, Tour operators, Fishing guides,
Artisans, Restaurants/Food service, Retail Store owners, Transportation).
The mentors will provide assistance to the entrepreneur in the following ways:
- Work with OED to provide customized technical assistance for each participant in business development, marketing, financing, and other relevant areas.
- Conduct periodic site visits to the entrepreneur’s community and business
- Gain a greater understanding of the challenges tourism business owners confront in rural Alaska
- Review the progress of project participants and perform an assessment of their business while on site
- Develop a tailored training and technical assistance plan for their entrepreneur.
- Assist in developing a marketing strategy for each participant.