- Alaska is the largest state in the United States, however, for all its vastness, only a small portion of the land mass is subject to a property tax.
- There are approximately 395 communities in Alaska, many of which still remain unincorporated. There are 162 incorporated municipalities (Local Governments). Of those 162, 18 are incorporated into Boroughs (Boroughs are a rough equivalent to counties) and the remainder are incorporated as cities.
- Of the 18 Boroughs, only 14 levy a property tax.
- Only 11 Cities located outside of Boroughs levy a property tax. Therefore, only 25 municipalities in Alaska (either cities or boroughs) levy a property tax.
- 62 municipalities (reporting) levy a general sales tax. Sales tax rates range from a low of 1% to a high of 7%.
- The "typical" sales tax rates are from 2%-5%.
- Other types of local taxes levied are raw fish taxes, hotel/motel "bed" taxes, severance taxes, liquor and tobacco taxes, gaming (pull tabs) taxes and fuel transfer taxes.
- In 2010, local governments generated approximately $1.44 billion in revenues from property, sales and severance taxes. Of that amount $1.165 billion was from property taxes.
- Prudhoe Bay and the Trans-Alaska Pipeline (TAPs) contribute a little over $333.9 million in property taxes to local government.
- Alaska exempts from property taxes, the first $150,000 of assessed value for all senior citizens (65 years of age and over) and disabled veterans (50% or more service connected disability).
- The average assessed value exempted from taxes for senior citizens and disabled veterans is $135,420 which equated to a tax exemption of $1,839 for 2010.
- In 2010, the total full value for all municipalities (over 750 in population) was $98.1 billion (including TAPS). With a statewide population of 692.314 the per capita full value was $141,644.
- The average per capita property tax paid in all municipalities, excluding oil and gas properties, was $1,338.
- There is no statewide sales tax levied.
- There is no personal state income tax.
© Alaska Division of