2nd Class City
in the Prince of Wales-Hyder Census Area
- Current Population
- Population Comment
- 2013 Department of Labor Estimate
- Pronunciation/Other Names
- Community's Judicial District
- Recording District
Geography and Climate
- Coffman Cove is on the northeast coast of Prince of Wales Island in Southeast Alaska. It lies 73 miles northeast of Ketchikan and 42 miles southeast of Wrangell.
- The area is dominated by a cool maritime climate. Summer temperatures range from 46 to 70 °F. Winter temperatures range from 32 to 42 °F.
- Community Map Available
- Map URL
- Sq Mi Land
- Sq Mi Water
History and Culture
- The site was named in 1886 by Lt. Comdr. A.S. Snow of the US Navy for Lt. Dewitt Coffman, a member of his party. Coffman Cove was first settled as a logging camp in the 1950s and was owned and operated by Mike and Leta Valentine. Land was made available for private ownership through selection under the Alaska Statehood Act. Coffman Cove's pioneer lifestyle and clean, safe environment were featured on ABC's "20/20" program in 1984, prompting a deluge of mail from persons around the country wanting to relocate. The city government was incorporated in 1989.
- Although most residents previously lived in mobile homes, these have mostly been replaced with houses residents built themselves. There is a general store, liquor store, gift shop, gas station, post office substation, RV park, and two churches.
- Federally Recognized Tribe
Facilities, Utilities, and Health Care
- Municipal Facilities & Utilities
- Piped Water, Piped Sewer, Volunteer Fire/EMS, Harbor/Dock, Post Office (federal contract), Gravel Sales, Parks & Recreation, Roads, Library, Internet
- The state ferry landing at Hollis provides access to the Prince of Wales Island road system. The Inter-Island Ferry Port Authority built a ferry terminal in Coffman Cove, but the boat no longer runs out of the community. A state-owned seaplane base is available, and there is scheduled air service from Ketchikan three times a week. The nearest landing strip is in Klawock. A boat launch and dock are available. Freight arrives by cargo plane, barge, and ship and by road from Craig.
- State Ferry
- Cargo Barge
- Road Connection
- Community's Senate District
- Community's House District