2nd Class City
in the Bethel Census Area
- Current Population
- Population Comment
- 2013 Department of Labor Estimate
- Pronunciation/Other Names
- (TOOK-sook or TUCK-sook); a.k.a. Nunakauyak
- Community's Judicial District
- Recording District
Geography and Climate
- Toksook Bay is one of three villages located on Nelson Island, which lies 115 miles northwest of Bethel. It is on Kangirlvar Bay, across the water from Nunivak Island. Tununak is about 8 miles to the northwest.
- Toksook is located in a marine climate. Annual precipitation averages 22 inches, with 43 inches of snowfall. Summer temperatures range from 41 to 57 °F, and winter temperatures run 6 to 24 °F.
- Community Map Available
- Map URL
- Sq Mi Land
- Sq Mi Water
History and Culture
- The area has been inhabited and utilized by Yup'iks for thousands of years. Toksook Bay was established in 1964 along the Tuqsuk River by residents of Nightmute. Cyril Chanar, Tom Sunny, and Nasgauq Tangkaq were the earliest inhabitants. Toksook Bay was settled to be more accessible to the annual freighter ship, the North Star. The city was incorporated in 1972.
- Toksook Bay is a traditional Yup'ik Eskimo community with a reliance on fishing and subsistence activities.
- Federally Recognized Tribe
- Name of Federally Recognized Tribe
- Nunakauyarmiut Tribe
- Local Option Restrictions
- Ban sale, importation, and possession of alcohol.
Facilities, Utilities, and Health Care
- Municipal Facilities & Utilities
- Piped Water and Sewer, Electric (AVEC), Refuse Collection, Landfill, Volunteer Fire, Public Safety Facility, Peer Outreach Counselor,Airport (State Contract), Boat Haul-Out, Roads, Bingo/Pull Tabs, Vehicle Rentals. State-funded Public Safety Officer (VPSO).
- A state-owned 3,218' long by 60' wide gravel airstrip provides year-round scheduled and chartered service. Fishing boats, skiffs, snowmachines, and ATVs are used by residents for local travel. Winter trails with markers exist to Nightmute (20 mi), Tununak (8 mi), Newtok (40 mi), and Chefornak (50 mi). There are no docking facilities, but boat haul-out services are available. Barges deliver goods during the summer months.
- State Ferry
- Cargo Barge
- Road Connection
- Community's Senate District
- Community's House District