Manley Hot Springs
in the Yukon-Koyukuk Census Area
- Current Population
- Population Comment
- 2013 Department of Labor Estimate
- Pronunciation/Other Names
- (man' lee)
- Community's Judicial District
- Recording District
- Manley Hot Springs Village
Geography and Climate
- Manley Hot Springs is located about 5 miles north of the Tanana River on Hot Springs Slough, at the end of the Elliott Highway, 160 road miles west of Fairbanks.
- Manley Hot Springs has a cold, continental climate. The average daily maximum is in the upper 50 °F in summer, and minimum temperatures during winter range from -6 to -21 °F. Temperature extremes have been measured from -70 to 93 °F. Average annual precipitation is 15 inches, with snowfall of 59 inches. The worst flood in the history of the community was in May 1956. Other floods occurred in 1961, 1962, and 1982.
- Community Map Available
- Map URL
- Sq Mi Land
- Sq Mi Water
History and Culture
- In 1902, John Karshner, a mining prospector, claimed several hot springs and began a homestead and vegetable farm on 278 acres. At the same time, a U.S. Army telegraph station and trading post were built. The area became a service and supply point for miners in the Eureka and Tofty mining districts and was known as Baker's Hot Springs, after nearby Baker Creek. In 1903, Sam's Rooms and Meals, now called the Manley Roadhouse, opened in the community. Ambitious farming and livestock operations in the area produced fresh meat, poultry, and produce for sale. In 1907, miner Frank Manley built the Hot Springs Resort Hotel. The resort was a large four-story building with 45 guest rooms, steam heat, electric lights, hot baths, bar, restaurant, billiard room, bowling alley, barber shop, and an Olympic-size indoor swimming pool that used heated water from the hot springs. During the summer, the hotel's private launch transported guests from steamers on the Tanana River. In the winter, an overland stagecoach trip from Fairbanks took two days. Due to the resort and area mining, the town of "Hot Springs" prospered with an Alaska Commercial Company store, a local newspaper, bakery, clothing stores, and other businesses. Local estimates of the area's population in 1910 was more than 500. In 1913, this thriving resort burned to the ground. Mining was also declining, and by 1920 only 29 residents lived in Hot Springs. The name was changed to Manley Hot Springs in 1957. A small school re-opened in 1958. In 1959, completion of the Elliott Highway gave Manley a road link with Fairbanks during the summer. In 1982, the state began maintaining the highway for year-round use. A new resort with a small swimming pool opened in 1985 but closed in 1997.
- Native residents are Athabascan.
- Federally Recognized Tribe
- Name of Federally Recognized Tribe
- Manley Hot Springs Village
Facilities, Utilities, and Health Care
- The Elliott Highway is the only road leading to Manley Hot Springs. Goods and fuel are typically delivered by truck. The highway runs through Manley to the Tanana River Landing, three miles southwest. The Tanana River Landing is used to launch boats for fishing or transportation. Barge services are occasionally provided during summer months, but there is no docking facility due to erosion. The state-owned 2,875' long by 30' wide gravel runway is in service year-round.
- State Ferry
- Cargo Barge
- Road Connection
- Community's Senate District
- Community's House District