in the Valdez-Cordova Census Area
- Current Population
- Population Comment
- 2013 Department of Labor Estimate
- Pronunciation/Other Names
- alt. Mendaltna
- Community's Judicial District
Geography and Climate
- The community is at milepost 154 of the Glenn Highway near Mendeltna River, 30 miles southwest of Glennallen.
- It is located in the continental climate zone. Temperature extremes range from -74 to 96 °F. Annual snowfall averages 39 inches, with total precipitation of 9 inches per year.
- Community Map Available
- Sq Mi Land
- Sq Mi Water
History and Culture
- Mendeltna is an Indian name first reported by the U.S. Geological Survey in 1915. Mendeltna was originally a stop on the trail used by Natives from Lake Tyone to Tazlina Lake. Gold in the creeks draining from the Chugach Mountains brought prospectors to this area in the late 1800s. The Eureka Lodge was built to serve miners, and the Nelchina area offered several trails into the mountains.
- The Nelchina-Mendeltna Community Association was organized to advocate for local issues and planning.
- Federally Recognized Tribe
Facilities, Utilities, and Health Care
- The community lies on the Glenn Highway and accesses the statewide road system. There are several air strips in the area that provide air taxi services.
- State Ferry
- Cargo Barge
- Road Connection
- Community's Senate District
- Community's House District