in the Lake and Peninsula Borough
- Current Population
- Population Comment
- 2013 Department of Labor Estimate
- Pronunciation/Other Names
- (ill-ee-AM-nuh); a.k.a. Nilavena
- Community's Judicial District
- Recording District
Geography and Climate
- Iliamna is located on the northwest side of Iliamna Lake, 225 miles southwest of Anchorage. It is near the Lake Clark Park and Preserve.
- Iliamna lies in the transitional climatic zone with strong maritime influences. Average summer temperatures range from 42 to 62 °F; winter temperatures average 6 to 30 °F. Annual precipitation averages 26 inches, with 64 inches of snowfall.
- Community Map Available
- Map URL
- Sq Mi Land
- Sq Mi Water
History and Culture
- Prior to 1935, "Old Iliamna" was located near the mouth of the Iliamna River, a traditional Athabascan village. A post office was established there in 1901. Around 1935, villagers moved to the present location, approximately 40 miles from the old site. The post office followed. Iliamna's current size and character can be attributed to the development of fishing and hunting lodges. The first lodge opened in the 1930s. A second lodge was built in the 1950s. During the 1970s and 80s, lots were made available by the Baptist church, and additional lodges were constructed.
- In recent years, Iliamna has become a recreational and tourist attraction due to the excellent fishing at Iliamna Lake. The population is mixed, with non-Natives, Tanaina Athabascans, and Alutiiq and Yup'ik Eskimos.
- Federally Recognized Tribe
- Name of Federally Recognized Tribe
- Village of Iliamna
- Local Option Restrictions
- Sale of alcohol is banned.
Facilities, Utilities, and Health Care
- Iliamna is accessible by air and water. An 8-mile gravel road connects Iliamna to Newhalen. There are two state-owned gravel airstrips; one measures 5,086' long by 100' wide, and the other is 4,800' long by 100' wide. The airstrips are located between Iliamna and Newhalen. Additional facilities include: float plane facilities at Slop Lake, East Bay, and Pike Lake, a private airstrip at the Iliamna Roadhouse, and private float plane access at Summit Lake. Barge services are available via the Kvichak River. A breakwater, boat harbor, and dock are available.
- State Ferry
- Cargo Barge
- Road Connection
- Community's Senate District
- Community's House District