2nd Class City
in the Nome Census Area
- Current Population
- Population Comment
- 2013 Department of Labor Estimate
- Pronunciation/Other Names
- (steb' inz)
- Community's Judicial District
- Recording District
- Cape Nome
Geography and Climate
- Stebbins is located on the northwest coast of St. Michael Island, on Norton Sound. It lies 8 miles north of St. Michael and 120 miles southeast of Nome.
- There is a subarctic climate with a maritime influence during the summer. Norton Sound is ice-free from June to November, but clouds and fog are common. Average summer temperatures are 40 to 60 °F; winter temperatures range from -4 to 16 °F. Extremes have been measured from -55 to 77 °F. Annual precipitation averages 12 inches, with 38 inches of snowfall.
- Community Map Available
- Map URL
- Sq Mi Land
- Sq Mi Water
History and Culture
- Redoubt St. Michael was built at nearby St. Michael by the Russian-American Company in 1833. The Eskimo village of "Atroik" or "Atowak" was recorded north of here in 1898 by the U.S. Coast and Geodetic Survey. The Yup'ik name for the village is "Tapraq," and the name Stebbins was first recorded in 1900. The first U.S. Census occurred in 1950, indicating 80 Yup'ik Eskimos. The city government was incorporated in 1969.
- It is a Yup'ik Eskimo village with a commercial fishing and subsistence lifestyle.
- Federally Recognized Tribe
- Name of Federally Recognized Tribe
- Stebbins Community Association
- Local Option Restrictions
- Ban sale and importation of alcohol.
Facilities, Utilities, and Health Care
- Municipal Facilities & Utilities
- Washeteria, Electric (AVEC), Refuse Plywood Bins, Landfill, Health Clinic, Police, Airport (State Contract), City Hall, Roads, Pull Tabs, Building Rentals, Equipment Rentals, Honeybucket Bins, Watering Point
- Stebbins is accessible by air and sea. There is a state-owned 3,000' long by 60' wide gravel runway. Regular flights, charters, and freight services are available from Bethel. A cargo ship brings supplies annually. There is no dock, and goods must be lightered out of Nome. Overland travel in the winter is by snowmachine.
- State Ferry
- Cargo Barge
- Road Connection
- Community's Senate District
- Community's House District