2nd Class City
in the Bethel Census Area
- Current Population
- Population Comment
- 2013 Department of Labor Estimate
- Pronunciation/Other Names
- (chuh fore' nuck); alt. Chefarnok
- Community's Judicial District
- Recording District
Geography and Climate
- Chefornak is located on the south bank of the Kinia River, at its junction with the Keguk River, in the Yukon-Kuskokwim Delta. The village lies within the Clarence Rhode National Wildlife Refuge, established for migratory waterfowl protection. Chefornak is 98 air miles southwest of Bethel and 490 miles southwest of Anchorage.
- Chefornak is located in a marine climate. Precipitation averages 22 inches, with 43 inches of snowfall annually. Summer temperatures range from 41 to 57 °F. Winter temperatures range 6 to 24 °F.
- Community Map Available
- Map URL
- Sq Mi Land
- Sq Mi Water
History and Culture
- The area has historically been occupied by Yup'ik Eskimos. In the early 1950s, Alexie Amagiqchik founded a small general store at the site. He had moved from a village on the Bering Sea to the new location one mile inland to escape potential floodwaters. Others from the original village followed and settled in Chefornak. The city was incorporated in 1974.
- A traditional Yup'ik Eskimo community, Chefornak residents practice a subsistence lifestyle with some commercial fishing.
- Federally Recognized Tribe
- Name of Federally Recognized Tribe
- Village of Chefornak
- Local Option Restrictions
- Ban sale and importation of alcohol.
Facilities, Utilities, and Health Care
- Municipal Facilities & Utilities
- Electric, Volunteer Fire, Fire Department Building, Bingo/ Pull tabs, Refuse, Water, Post Office Building, Washeteria
- A state-owned 2,500' long by 28' wide gravel airstrip provides chartered and private air access year-round, and a seaplane base is available. Although there are no docking facilities, a number of fishing boats and skiffs are used for local travel. Snowmachines are relied upon during the winter. Winter trails are marked to Kipnuk (20 mi) and Kasigluk (83 mi).
- State Ferry
- Cargo Barge
- Road Connection
- Community's Senate District
- Community's House District