in the Matanuska-Susitna Borough
- Area Type
- Current Population
- Population Comment
- 2013 Department of Labor Estimate
- Pronunciation/Other Names
- includes North Lakes; South Lakes
- Community's Judicial District
- Census Designated Place (CDP)
- Borough/Census Area FIPS Code
- Place FIPS
Geography and Climate
- Lakes lies east of Wasilla, between Wasilla and Gateway, off the Glenn Highway. The area includes Bogard Road, Trunk Road, and the Palmer-Wasilla Highway. Lakes in the area include Neklason, Kings, Wolf, Hart, Kennedy, Cottonwood, Finger, and Memory Lakes.
- The temperatures in January range from -33 to 33 °F and in July from 42 to 83 °F. Annual precipitation averages 16.5 inches, with 50 inches of snowfall.
- Community Map Available
- Sq Mi Land
- Sq Mi Water
History and Culture
- The area surrounding Wasilla was called "Benteh," meaning "among lakes" by the Dena'ina Athabascans. A village called Benteh and Chief Vasili's (Chief Wasilla's) home site were located in the area. By 1915, most of the land around Finger and Cottonwood Lakes had been homesteaded by men who came to work the Willow Creek Mining District. Until the early 1930s, W.J. Bogard owned the largest flock of sheep in the valley and was instrumental in getting the present Bogard Road built. In 1935, Camp 4, with four farms, was established by Matanuska colonists on the north side of Palmer-Wasilla Highway. The early 1980s marked a decade of rapid growth.
- Lakes is a large settlement. Students attend school in Palmer and Wasilla.
- Federally Recognized Tribe
Facilities, Utilities, and Health Care
- The George Parks Highway, Glenn Highway, and other local roads connect the area to Anchorage, the remainder of the state, and Canada. The Alaska Railroad serves the Fairbanks to Seward route. The Wasilla and Palmer airports provide scheduled commuter and air taxi services. Float planes land at Wasilla Lake, Jacobsen Lake, and Lake Lucille. There are ten additional private airstrips in the vicinity. Commercial jet flights are operated out of Ted Stevens Anchorage International Airport.
- State Ferry
- Cargo Barge
- Road Connection
- Community's Senate District
- Community's House District