in the Aleutians West Census Area
- Current Population
- Population Comment
- 2013 Department of Labor Estimate
- Pronunciation/Other Names
- (at-TOO) Chichagof
- Community's Judicial District
Geography and Climate
- This Coast Guard station is located on the northeast coast of Attu Island, in the Near Islands group, on the far western end of the Aleutian Chain.
- Attu lies in the maritime climate zone, characterized by persistently overcast skies, high winds, and frequent cyclonic storms. Winter squalls produce wind gusts in excess of 100 knots. During the summer, extensive fog forms over the Bering Sea and North Pacific. Average temperatures range from 20 to 60 °F, but wind chill factors can be severe. Total precipitation is 64 inches annually, with an average accumulated snowfall of 100 inches, primarily in the mountains.
- Community Map Available
- Sq Mi Land
- Sq Mi Water
History and Culture
- The Aleutian Islands were historically occupied by the Unangas. Attu was called "Saint Theodore" by Capt. A.I. Chirikov in 1742. The first non-Native landing on the island appears to have been in 1745. The Aleut name was early transcribed by the Russians as "Ostrov Attu," spelled "Atakou" by Capt. Cook in 1785. Attu was listed in the 1880 Census with 107 people; 101 in 1890; 29 in 1930; and 44 in 1940. Attu and Kiska Islands were occupied by Japanese forces during World War II. Attu was virtually destroyed in 1943 when the U.S. Army mounted a successful offensive from Adak against the island. It was known as "Chichagof" by the armed forces. It is currently a Coast Guard LORAN station.
- The Coast Guard personnel live in a group quarters facility. There are no families stationed at Attu.
- Federally Recognized Tribe
Facilities, Utilities, and Health Care
- The Casco Cove Airport is a 5,800' by 150' paved runway, maintained by the Coast Guard. The airstrip is authorized for public use only in an emergency; all others must obtain permission from the U.S. Coast Guard 17th District, located in Juneau at 907-392-3315.
- State Ferry
- Cargo Barge
- Road Connection
- Community's Senate District
- Community's House District