in the Bethel Census Area
- Current Population
- Pronunciation/Other Names
- (oom' kuh myoot); var. Umkumiut
- Community's Judicial District
Geography and Climate
- Umkumiute is located on Nelson Island in the Yukon-Kuskokwim Delta, adjacent to Toksook Bay.
- The island experiences a marine climate. Annual precipitation averages 22 inches, with 43 inches of snow. Summer temperatures range from 41 to 57 °F, and winter temperatures are 6 to 24 °F.
- Community Map Available
- Sq Mi Land
- Sq Mi Water
History and Culture
- The resources of this area have been used by Yup'ik Eskimos for thousands of years. During 1950, approximately 100 residents were enumerated in the village.
- Umkumiute is a summer fish camp for Toksook Bay residents.
- Federally Recognized Tribe
- Name of Federally Recognized Tribe
- Umkumiut Native Village
Facilities, Utilities, and Health Care
- Number of Commercial Fishing Permit Holders
- Number of Commercial Fishing Permits Issued
- CDQ Participant
- The Toksook Bay airstrip provides access to the island. Boats and skiffs are used for local transportation.
- State Ferry
- Cargo Barge
- Road Connection