in the Prince of Wales-Hyder Census Area
- Current Population
- Population Comment
- 2013 Department of Labor Estimate
- Pronunciation/Other Names
- (NAW-ka-tee); a.k.a. Naukati; Naukati West
- Community's Judicial District
Geography and Climate
- Naukati Bay is located on the west coast of Prince of Wales Island in Southeast Alaska.
- The area is dominated by a cool, maritime climate. Average temperatures in the summer range from 46 to 70 °F; winter temperatures range from 32 to 42 °F.
- Community Map Available
- Map URL
- Sq Mi Land
- Sq Mi Water
History and Culture
- Named "Naukatee Bay" in 1904 by the U.S. Coast & Geodetic Survey, who recorded it as the local Indian name. It was a logging camp at one time but was later settled as a Department of Natural Resources land disposal site.
- Naukati residents are logging families and homesteaders. Two community non-profit associations have been organized for planning and local issue purposes.
- Federally Recognized Tribe
- Local Option Restrictions
- Sale by specific type of license only.
Facilities, Utilities, and Health Care
- Naukati is accessed primarily by float plane or via the North Island Road.
- State Ferry
- Cargo Barge
- Road Connection
- Community's Senate District
- Community's House District