2nd Class City
in the Lake and Peninsula Borough
- Current Population
- Population Comment
- 2013 Department of Labor Estimate
- Pronunciation/Other Names
- Community's Judicial District
- Recording District
Geography and Climate
- Newhalen is located on the north shore of Iliamna Lake, at the mouth of Newhalen River, 5 miles south of Iliamna and 320 miles southwest of Anchorage.
- Newhalen lies in the transitional climatic zone. Average summer temperatures range from 42 to 62 °F; winter temperatures average 6 to 30 °F. The record high is 91 °F, and the record low is -47 °F. Annual precipitation averages 26 inches, with 64 inches of snow.
- Community Map Available
- Map URL
- Sq Mi Land
- Sq Mi Water
History and Culture
- The 1890 census listed the Eskimo village of "Noghelingamiut," meaning "people of Noghelin," at this location, with 16 residents. The present name is an Anglicized version of the original. The village was established in the late 1800s due to the bountiful fish and game in the immediate area. Newhalen incorporated as a city in 1971.
- Newhalen includes Yup'ik Eskimos, Alutiiqs, and Athabascans. Most practice a subsistence and fishing lifestyle. Newhalen and Iliamna share a post office and school.
- Federally Recognized Tribe
- Name of Federally Recognized Tribe
- Newhalen Village
Facilities, Utilities, and Health Care
- Municipal Facilities & Utilities
- Piped Water, Piped Sewar, Spetic Pumping, Landfill, Health Clinic, Volunteer Fire/Ambulance, Public Safety Office, Community Hall, Teen Center, Gravel Sales, Roads, State Funded Public Safety Officer (VPSO)
- There are two state-owned gravel airstrips. One measures 5,080' long by 100' wide, and the other is 4,800' long by 150' wide; these are located between Iliamna and Newhalen. Scheduled and charter air services are available. A gravel road connects these communities and the airport. Barges on the Kvichak River deliver bulk goods that are lightered to shore.
- State Ferry
- Cargo Barge
- Road Connection
- Community's Senate District
- Community's House District