2nd Class City
in the Bethel Census Area
- Area Type
- Current Population
- Population Comment
- 2013 DCCED Certified Estimate
- Pronunciation/Other Names
- (nite' myoot)
- Community's Judicial District
- Recording District
- Census Designated Place (CDP)
- Borough/Census Area FIPS Code
- Place FIPS
Geography and Climate
- Nightmute is located on Nelson Island, in western Alaska. It is 18 miles upriver from Toksook Bay and 100 miles west of Bethel.
- Nightmute is influenced by a marine climate. Annual precipitation averages 22 inches, with 43 inches of snowfall. Summer temperatures range from 41 to 57 °F; winter temperatures are 6 to 24 °F.
- Community Map Available
- Map URL
- Sq Mi Land
- Sq Mi Water
History and Culture
- Nelson Island has been inhabited by the Qaluyaarmiut ("dip net people") for 2,000 years. The area was relatively isolated from outside contact and has kept its traditions and culture. Umkumiut is the traditional fish camp. In 1964, several residents moved to Toksook Bay to obtain more cost-effective goods. The city was incorporated in 1974.
- Nightmute is a traditional Yup'ik Eskimo village, active in subsistence.
- Federally Recognized Tribe
- Name of Federally Recognized Tribe
- Native Village of Nightmute
- Local Option Restrictions
- Ban sale, importation, and possession of alcohol.
Facilities, Utilities, and Health Care
- Municipal Facilities & Utilities
- Watering Point, Sewage Tank Hauling, Electric (AVEC), Police, Volunteer Fire/Ambulance, Community Hall, Post Office, Bingo, Search & Rescue
- Nightmute is not connected to the rest of Alaska by road, and is primarily accessible by air or water. A state-owned gravel airstrip provides air access. A seaplane base is also available. Fishing boats, skiffs, snowmobiles, and ATVs are used for local transportation and subsistence activities. Winter trails are marked to nearby village of Toksook Bay. Nightmute does not have docking facilities. Cargo and supplies are lightered up the Toksook River during summer months.
- State Ferry
- Cargo Barge
- Road Connection
- Community's Senate District
- Community's House District