in the Lake and Peninsula Borough
- Current Population
- Population Comment
- 2013 Department of Labor Estimate
- Pronunciation/Other Names
- Community's Judicial District
- Recording District
Geography and Climate
- Ugashik is located on the northwest coast of the Alaska Peninsula, 16 miles up the Ugashik River.
- Ugashik's maritime climate is characterized by cool, humid, and windy weather. The average summer temperatures range from 41 to 60 °F; winter temperatures average 12 to 37 °F. Annual precipitation averages 19 inches, 38 inches of snow.
- Community Map Available
- Map URL
- Sq Mi Land
- Sq Mi Water
History and Culture
- Yup'ik Eskimos and Aleuts jointly occupied the area historically. This Aleut village was first recorded in 1880 as "Oogashik." In the 1890s, the Red Salmon Company developed a cannery, and Ugashik became one of the largest villages in the region. The 1919 flu epidemic decimated the population. The cannery has continued to operate under various owners. The Briggs Way Cannery opened in 1963. The village has a small year-round population.
- It is a traditional site of the Alutiiq; however very few people now live in Ugashik year-round. Some of the village's people live in nearby Pilot Point on the coast. Tribal members live throughout Alaska, California, and Washington. Commercial fishing, fish processing, and subsistence activities sustain residents of the area.
- Federally Recognized Tribe
- Name of Federally Recognized Tribe
- Ugashik Village
Facilities, Utilities, and Health Care
- Ugashik is accessible by air and water. There is a 5,280' gravel airstrip at Ugashik Bay, owned by the U.S. Bureau of Land Management, Division of Lands. It is approximately 12 miles from the village of Ugashik. There is a 3,200' gravel airstrip in the village. There is also a state-owned 3,100' long by 60' wide gravel runway available. There is also a barge landing. Barged freight is brought in from Naknek. ATVs and skiffs are the primary means of local transportation.
- State Ferry
- Cargo Barge
- Road Connection
- Community's Senate District
- Community's House District