in the Bethel Census Area
- Area Type
- Current Population
- Population Comment
- 2013 Department of Labor Estimate
- Pronunciation/Other Names
- Community's Judicial District
- Recording District
- Census Designated Place (CDP)
- Borough/Census Area FIPS Code
- Place FIPS
Geography and Climate
- Stony River is located on the north bank of the Kuskokwim River, 2 miles north of its junction with the Stony River. The village is 100 miles east of Aniak, 185 miles northeast of Bethel, and 225 miles west of Anchorage.
- The climate is continental with temperatures ranging from -58 to 90 °F. Annual snowfall averages 85 inches, with 22 inches of precipitation. High winds often cause flight delays in the fall and winter. The Kuskokwim is ice-free from mid-June through October.
- Community Map Available
- Map URL
- Sq Mi Land
- Sq Mi Water
History and Culture
- Also known as Moose Village or Moose Creek, this community began as a trading post and riverboat landing to supply mining operations to the north. The first trading post opened in 1930, and a post office was established in 1935. Area Natives used these facilities, but it wasn't until the early 1960s that families established year-round residency and a school was constructed. Approximately 75 people lived in the village from the 1960s onward, although the population has declined somewhat in recent years.
- The village is a mixed population of Athabascan Indians and Yup'ik Eskimos. Residents depend heavily on subsistence foods.
- Federally Recognized Tribe
- Name of Federally Recognized Tribe
- Village of Stony River
Facilities, Utilities, and Health Care
- Stony River's location near the confluence of the Kuskokwim and Stony Rivers provides easy access to river transportation during summer and snow machine traffic in winter. Barges deliver cargo and bulk fuel. The gravel/dirt airstrip is state-owned and -operated. Scheduled weekday air services deliver mail and other cargo.
- State Ferry
- Cargo Barge
- Road Connection
- Community's Senate District
- Community's House District