in the Kodiak Island Borough
- Area Type
- Place of Interest
- Current Population
- Pronunciation/Other Names
- a.k.a. Lesnoi
- Community's Judicial District
- Census Designated Place (CDP)
Geography and Climate
- Woody Island is located in Chiniak Bay, 2.6 miles east of Kodiak. The local name is Lesnoi Island.
- The Kodiak Archipelago is warmed by the Japanese current. The climate is similar to Southeast Alaska, with less precipitation. January temperatures range from 14 to 46 °F; July temperatures vary from 39 to 76 °F. Average annual rainfall is 74 inches.
- Community Map Available
- Sq Mi Land
- Sq Mi Water
History and Culture
- It is believed that the Russians were using Woody Island as an agricultural colony as early as 1792. The Russian American Ice Company (known as the Kodiak Ice Company after 1867) imported horses to Woody Island and built a road around the island. Boat-building flourished both at Kodiak and Woody Island during the late 1800s. A post office was established in 1894 and was discontinued in 1895. Woody Island was the site of a Civil Aviation Authority (later Federal Aviation Administration) Overseas Foreign Airways Communications Station from the late 1930s through the 1980s. It was a 24-hour air traffic control station for both military and general aviation. The American Baptists maintained 500 acres as an orphanage site until 1937, a ranch until the 1980s, and a summer youth camp (Camp Woody), which has operated since 1956. Summer cabins are also scattered over the island.
- The island is occupied on a seasonal basis. Although Woody Island is a recognized Native village, it has been abandoned by the Alutiiq of Lesnoi Village, who now live in Kodiak and Anchorage.
- Federally Recognized Tribe
- Name of Federally Recognized Tribe
- Tangirnaq Native Village
Facilities, Utilities, and Health Care
- Number of Commercial Fishing Permit Holders
- Number of Commercial Fishing Permits Issued
- CDQ Participant
- Access is available by boat or float plane.
- State Ferry
- Cargo Barge
- Road Connection
- Community's Senate District
- Community's House District