in the Kenai Peninsula Borough
- Current Population
- Population Comment
- 2013 Department of Labor Estimate
- Pronunciation/Other Names
- (nuh nill' chick)
- Community's Judicial District
- Recording District
Geography and Climate
- Ninilchik lies on the west coast of the Kenai Peninsula on the Sterling Highway, 38 miles southwest of the City of Kenai and 188 road miles from Anchorage. The community lies between mileposts 119 and 144 of the Sterling Highway; a business center has developed between Ninilchik River and Deep Creek.
- Winter temperatures range from 14 to 27 °F; summer temperatures vary from 45 to 65 °F. Average annual precipitation is 24 inches.
- Community Map Available
- Sq Mi Land
- Sq Mi Water
History and Culture
- The peninsula was historically used by Dena'ina Indians for fur-farming and fishing. The Dena'ina word "Niqnilchint" means "lodge by the river." In the 1820s, the Russian American Fur Company became burdened by a number of elderly, disabled, and sick employees who could not safely return to Russia. The company received permission to establish self-sustaining retirement settlements in Alaska. In 1847, Grigorii and Mavra Kvasnikoff moved their large family from Kodiak to Ninilchik. Grigorii was a Russian Orthodox missionary from Moscow, and Mavra was a Russian-Sugpiaq from Kodiak -- the daughter of Efim Rastorguev, a Russian shipbuilder, and Agrafena Petrovna, a Sugpiaq from Kodiak. The Transfiguration of Our Lord Russian Orthodox Church was constructed in 1846. Iakov and Anna Oskolkoff and other Russian settlers subsisted on fishing, hunting, trapping, and gardening. By 1880, the U.S. Census found 53 "Creoles" living in Ninilchik. All nine original Native founding families of Ninilchik are descendants of the Kvasnikoffs. In 1896, a Russian village school was built, and in 1901 the Russian Orthodox church was constructed and dedicated at its current site. A post office was established in 1925. The 1940s brought homesteaders to the area. In 1949, the Berman Packing Company began fish-canning operations. In 1950, the Sterling Highway had been completed through Ninilchik. The current Ninilchik school was built in 1951.
- Ninilchik is a traditional Athabascan village, although the majority of the population is non-Native. The community association is actively involved in local issues -- residents constructed the senior center using second mortgages and volunteer labor.
- Federally Recognized Tribe
- Name of Federally Recognized Tribe
- Ninilchik Village
Facilities, Utilities, and Health Care
- The community lies on the Sterling Highway. A state-owned 2,400' long by 60' wide dirt/gravel airstrip is located on Oilwell Road. Homer or Kenai have airports, and harbor/docking facilities are in Homer, which has state ferry access. Ninilchik harbor was constructed in the early 1970s. Mainly charter and recreational boats are launched from Ninilchik or Deep Creek beach; a tractor launch is also available.
- State Ferry
- Cargo Barge
- Road Connection
- Community's Senate District
- Community's House District